Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The fortune cookie that changed my life

OK, so the title may be a bit much. But today when I was at Pei Wei with the engagement team for lunch, my fortune cookie read the following: Generosity and perfection are your everlasting goals. Very fitting I thought for a Latter-day Saint. And even more so for me right now, as I seriously reconsider my goals for life and who I want to become.

Generosity- Something I would like to be more known for. I can honestly say that I have been feeling more generous in my life and less concerned about myself for a while. As explained previously though, the past week has been a roller coaster for me and today I even briefly considered just quitting my job. Glad I didn't. I know that is not what God wants me to do, and that in reality, I can make a difference in the lives of the people I work with. Though I would much rather quit and serve those in need, I know that it's a little hard for the needy to help the needy. So I'll keep the job, . . . at least until I can pay off the student loans and a few other debts I have. After that, no promises. I sure hope nobody from work reads this. I don't think I really mean that anyway, it's more just a thought that crossed my mind today.

Perfection - Eternal progression is something that I believe in. Many people may find it hard to grasp that some day we can become like our Heavenly Father, but not for me. Especially not after tonight's Institute class. We are studying the New Testament and Brother Holbrook did a fantastic job tonight of explaining in depth the what happened on the Mt. of Transfiguration. Amazing. That's all I can say. I know that God lives and that he does indeed desire his children (that's me!) to live with him someday in eternal glory. Man, do I have a long way to go. The key to eternal progression is eternity.

Anyway. I find myself recovering emotionally little by little each day. I still think of Tim and what a great example he really was to me. I find myself pondering the things of life while at work, and a couple times I have had to get a hold of myself before I lose it at work. I wish everyone I know would have known Tim. He really makes me want to be a better person. I hope that someday I can become as charitable as he was.

No comments: